Wednesday, November 4, 2009

octubre

I am currently procrastinating, avoiding studying for an exam I have to leave for in 1 hour. On Friday I went to Tigre, which is a little tourist town on the Parana River about an hour from Buenos Aires. We took a boat cruise on the river which was nice. Even though it was cloudy, we still enjoyed being in the open air and seeing soo much greenery!





Halloween this last weekend was lots of fun! I dressed as a witch and went to a party at my friend's apartment. They had everything decorated and had rented a bartender which was really nice. My friends and I also made Halloween-decorated cookies ( : Most of my friends from the residence came to the party which was really fun...lots of good costumes, from the Mad Hatter, a yerba mate gourd, a lion tamer, a gypsy, an alien, even a 3-person cow made out of boxes and a sheet! A bunch of us left the party for a bit and went dancing at a club for an hour and then returned to the party for the rest of the evening. SO MUCH FUN!!!



Earlier this month I went to Oktoberfest which was outside the city of Cordoba, Argentina. Some friends and I rented a small cabana next to a river. So beautiful...we went to the festival at night and swam in the river during the day. We also spent one day at an "estancia" (or ranch) in the "campo"(countryside) with some Argentine friends. We had "asado"(basically barbeque, but the best steaks and sausage you've ever eaten in your life) and hung out in the sun all day. We also watched the Peru-Argentina soccer game on tv, which, in a room full of soccer-crazed Argentines drinking lots of Fernet and coke was definitely a fun experience!!





(the girl in the first and last fotos with me is my friend Sogol from Germany---she's amazing and my best friend here)

Sogol and I also went to a polo match last month in Pilar, a city outside Buenos Aires. Many (affluent) people here have weekend homes in Pilar, which seems kind of like a Hamptons area...the guy whose house we hung out at there said he has been going to Pilar with his family almost every weekend of his LIFE! Anyway we had a lovely lunch before the match (served to us by a maid) and then went to see polo...which I really enjoyed! That night we had asado (also prepared by a maid) and then came back to BA.





There is a new woman in the residence, Kim from Amsterdam, who I have really been enjoying. She is travelling for 9 months, alone, around the world (she is the one next to me in the halloween foto). She is so much fun and a really wonderful person. I've also been really enjoying all her stories about travelling...it seems like she has really been EVERYWHERE!! I'm sad that I only have a few more days with her because I leave for Peru on Saturday and she will leave Buenos Aires before I get back.

I finish finals tomorrow (Thursday) and will leave for Peru on Saturday! My friend Joey and I are going to travel through Peru, Bolivia, one city in Chile and then a city in northern Argentina. We're starting in Lima, going to Cuzco (and Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca), then to the Amazon for a jungle trip, then to La Paz, Bolivia, then to Salar Uyuni (where there are salt flats and colored lakes) San Pedro in northern Chile, and finally to Salta, Argentina. We'll be gone for a bit over 3 weeks!! I CAN'T wait!!!!

Then I get back to Buenos Aires and dad is coming to visit! Not sure yet if we'll be able to fit this in, but I'm hoping we can go to El Calafayte and Tierra del Fuego in southern Patagonia and check out the glaciers there.

besos!

1 comment:

  1. WOW julia, looks like you've been up to some shenanigans ;) I can't believe dad is coming to visit you?! Funny what I learn from the internet ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete