Saturday, July 18, 2009

!!hola de buenos aires!!




I have officially arrived and moved into my residence at Av Callao 86! I got picked up (alone) at the airport by a taxi, who drove me to my building. When I got inside and handed off to the next Argentine, who is a nice young guy (I think he is the doorman?) named Quiti or something, he taught me a valuable lesson--don't give anyone a tip just because they ask for one after helping you. (Like the taxi driver I felt guilted into tipping because he gave me a tangerine to eat)I felt so silly, because at home that's something I feel so much more comfortable dealing with. Lesson learned I guess.

The building I live in is neat--it has an old fashioned elevator with the metal gate you have to close and spiraling pretty white marble stairs. The doors on each floor are tall and narrow, like the building, and there are pretty glass chandeliers hanging in the hallways.

I was shown to my room on the second floor, and I was shocked by how quiet it was. I guess most people in Buenos Aires really do sleep through most of the day, especially on a Saturday after probably staying out until at least 3 or 4am! My room is a triple, with one single bed and a bunk bed. 2 girls already live in there, leaving the single bunk bed to yours truly. There is no ladder, and the bed is quite shaky--I have to first climb up onto a table to then climb onto my bed. There is also not enough storage space, and not only because I overpacked. There is room for maybe 15 hangers and 2 drawers each the size of a box of cereal. There is a cabinet on the top of the wardrobe that you have to stand on a chair just to see into. NOT GOOD for me. Not good at all.

I haven't met my roommates yet. I hoped they would show up at some point today, and as a result was quite lonely and clueless. The program has provided me with zero information or direction, and it took me hours to even see enough people in the building to ask my questions of. I tried unpacking earlier which was frusturating, then I tried walking around to get some water and food which was dreary, and then I tried lurking around my piso ("floor" in spanish) trying to find new friends and eventually found a nice French girl named Astrid who is doing some sort of fashion internship here in BA. I also ended up meeting another girl who told me my roommates are in Iguazu Falls this weekend and should be back by Monday.

Enough of my complaining!! Anyways, I enjoyed walking around the grocery store by myself...it was fun to see all the different packages and ways people interact. I bought some crackers and decided to treat myself to some cheese for lunch (I know, I know, not cleanseworthy), but some horrific smell unfortunately sent me running from the dairy/meat section. I had delicous olive tapenade with my rice cakes instead.

Dulce de leche is "the" sweet of Argentina, in ice creams, coffee drinks, candy bars, and I saw they even have it in some sort of gel form in the refrigerated section at the store...maybe so it's easy to add to pastry or something? I bought a small chocolate bar with dulce de leche inside, so I will let you know how it goes! ( :

After running out of options, and unable to work the internet without the wireless password I went walking around the neighborhood again. I live in "Congreso" which is home to national buildings like Congress (surprise!!). It's more of a downtown area rather than a residential neighborhood, and supposedly most of the restaurants around here close early in the evening because they cater mostly to buisnesspeople.

Lets see...I am currently sitting in the kitchen on the 3rd floor, which is apparently the only place to get internet, so I'm not sure how skyping will work. I will hopefully get my cell phone soon, though. I have an orientation for university on Monday so I will also meet more people then.

I am planning on going to dinner in an hour, at 1030, with some people on my floor. Buenos Aires doesn't really even go out to eat until 930 or so, and people can dine until around midnight. It makes sense that people stay out until the early morning hours I guess, then, if they're not even starting their night until 12am! Yikes. That will definitely take some getting used to...especially since I'm not even sure I'll be able to stay up to eat tonight!

I hope this wasn't too boring...more exciting and upbeat news and updates to follow! And pictures!!

Muchos besos y abrazos!! Chau!!!

love julia

1 comment: